Sunday 15 December 2013

LOVE YOUR CURLS

Keep Visiting For New and Innovative Hair Care Tips. Until Next Time, Happy Hair Growing!!!


Hello everyone,

I had brief chat with a colleague of mine this week who has transitioned back to natural. Not having to deal with her natural hair is a few years has really not allowed her to fully accept her natural hair and how to deal with it.

Often times as young black girls our quest is to have long straight hair and some of us were not really taught how to appreciate our natural hair. Our hair was described as tough,natty,coarse, big and ugly. Our quest was always to " refine it".

Even now that we have "refined it" by relaxing it many of us still have challenges with facing our natural curls as it peep up we rush to relax every six weeks or believe it or not every four weeks.

As " women of colour" whether relaxed or natural we must find that place where we are comfortable with how God made us. We sometimes see relaxing or processing our hair as a means of escape from " tough,ugly" hair.

I see relaxing as a means of helping me to manage my hair not to cover it up. I relax every five to six months
this gives me a lot of opportunity to see my curls coming in. My hair type is 4B/C. I love  running my fingers over my curls and stretching them. 

I must admit however that in those times I do say to myself  " my hair is going to be long when I relax it look how much growth I have at the roots"

Sometimes while i'm stretching my relaxer say am about four or five months post persons actually say to me " don't you see your hair needs relaxing? you look ugly!!

Its a mentality though that we must erase in order to embrace how God made us.

Do you notice that most older persons return to their natural roots?  Don't wait until then to develop an appreciation for your natural hair, it will become very frustrating and depressing for you at that time.

Let us teach our little girls to love their curls!!!


Share your thoughts please.



No comments:

Post a Comment